Thursday, October 21, 2010

Embracing the Truth

Scripture:  Ephesians 4:25 "Therefore, putting away falsehood, speak the truth, each one to his neighbor, for we are members one of another."

Thought:  On Tuesday my thoughts centered around the lies I tell myself.  Today I have been thinking about "embracing" Truth.  What does that mean?  What does it really mean to embrace the truth?  How will such a concept impact my life and the people I encounter everyday?  What will it do to me on a spiritual level?

Does embracing the truth mean tactfully telling someone when they have crossed the line instead of a weak "it's okay"?  Does embracing the truth mean speaking up when you see injustice instead of saying "not my problem"?  Does it mean agreeing to disagree when agreeing would cause you to compromise your principles?

I do not have all of the answers.....that is why I am on this pilgrimmage.  I know that part of my charge is to eliminate the former self and take on a new self.  A self that follows the example set by Jesus.  He preached with humility and he told the truth in a quiet manner.  He could discern the thoughts of those who wanted to trap him in some sort of falsehood.  He understood the reluctance of those in authority to embrace His truth.  He also discerns my thoughts and my reluctance to embrace His truth when it becomes uncomfortable.

Do I embrace the truth when a homeless person asks for money and I say I don't have any because I am scared to open my purse.?  Do I embrace the truth when I gossip?  Do I embrace the truth when I accept poor treatment instead of sticking up for myself?

Seems like I have a lot of questions today.  Well I do.  Does embracing the truth mean I have to be super blunt and snarky?  Does embracing the truth mean that I am always right and you are always wrong.  Does embracing the truth mean that my neighbor has to embrace "my" truth?

"My your teeth look yellow today."  It may be true but do I really have to say anything about my friend's teeth?  "Giiirrrlll, did you see the shoes on that man, look like he bought them in 1930."  Is this a necessary conversation?  "Yesterday I prayed for you" when in truth you have not prayed in months.

For me embracing the truth is going to be a lifelong process.  What about you?  Let me know your thoughts.  We are all on this journey together.

Pilgrim

No comments: