Wednesday, January 04, 2017

31 Day Blog Challenge Day 4: Agawa Canyon Snow Train

Agawa Canyon Snow Train

March 2003

I retired from Blue Cross Blue Shield of Michigan in February of 2003 after 33 years.  It was an exciting time and I was thinking of things to do.  I had taken the Agawa Canyon Train during the summer of 2000 with my husband.  It was a very beautiful trip, but I wanted to try the snow train.  I looked it up and there was a weekend trip at the beginning of March.

The tour started with a drive from Detroit to Sault St. Marie, Ontario Canada.  On the way we stopped in Frankenmuth for Lunch and did some shopping.  I found a yarn shop and bought some beautiful yarn and some needles.  I figured I would spend the time on the ride knitting a scarf.  You see, I did not know a soul on this tour.  It was just something I wanted to do.

We arrived in Sault St. Marie in time for Dinner.  By the time we arrived I pretty much knew everyone on the bus, we laughed and talked.  Another tourist was knitting and we gabbed about yarn and patterns, it was fun.

Saturday we boarded the bust to go to the train Algoma Central Station.  The trip is 228 miles round trip.  During the summer you can de-train and walk trails for an hour.  Winter is much too cold and dangerous so you cannot de-train; however, the scenery is so beautiful it does not matter.

This was the second trip I took by myself and I just loved every minute.  I say little bunny prints in the snow, a train trellis covered in show with the train chugging along, families laughing and enjoying a really good lunch; guides giving us a complete history of the area and the train.

This tour was a retirement present to myself and I still smile at the wonderful memories.

see you tomorrow

2 comments:

Von said...

What a fun and special way to celebrate the start of your retirement! ❤️

Pilgrim said...

Von, thank you so much for following my posts. I really appreciate your support and friendship