Sunday, January 08, 2017

31 Day Blog Challenge: Day 8: Purple Bandages

Sheer Beauty

Before I begin my story, I wanted to show this photo taken July 2016 on Bainbridge Island, Washington at Wacky Nut Farms.  The flowers, and I do not know the name of them, caught my attention and took my breath away.

Now to Purple Bandages....Today was Blood donation day at my church, St. Thomas More Catholic Community.  Twice a year we have blood drives and I try to participate.  In fact, I have been donating blood for over 30 years.  In that time period, I have had a big problem or at least I am a big problem for the technicians.  It is hard to find my veins.  I have had this problem my entire life whether it giving blood or just having blood tests drawn.  My veins are small and they do not want to cooperate.

So, today after completing my questionnaire, I was taken to the chair to get set up.  "what arm would you like to use?'  Normal question and my standard answer is "it does not matter, whichever one you can find a vein is the one to use?"  I have an uncanny knack of knowing who will be successful and who will be a bust.  My first technician while extremely nice was a bust.  We tried the left arm,  needle in arm and vein was found; blood started flowing very slowly and it was hurting.  My sweet friend tried to wiggle the needle to get a better flow; not a really good idea.  So one of the chief technicians was called (normal for me--get the big guns).  He looked the right arm,  probed for a few seconds and found a small vein.  Eureka!!!!!  With purple pressure bandage on left arm, we proceed to get the flow going fast and furious from the right arm.  Once completed, we decided that purple pressure bandage was perfect for the right arm so that I could be fashionably coordinated.  Keep these bandages on for at least 4 hours and no heavy lifting for the rest of the day.

I forgot that I was scheduled to be an Extraordinary Eucharistic Minister today at the noon Mass.  Uh oh, really supposed to go home eat and rest.  Oops!!!  So I started praying, "Lord, please let me make it through this mass without getting dizzy or fainting."  I was really concerned; but he answered my prayers.  Made it through Mass, cooked dinner and am now laying down typing this missive.

Bandages removed,  left arm a little bruised, right arm perfect.  Someone in need of blood will be helped and that is all that matters really.

see you tomorrow.

2 comments:

Von said...

Oh my goodness, you sure have had a day of it, haven't you?!? 😱 Rest up well, enjoy a quiet evening and you'll be back in the thick of it tomorrow. 🙂 (((hugs)))

Pilgrim said...

Thanks Von