Monday, October 22, 2018

#Inktober 2018 Week 3 - Study of Paul Klee 10-15 to 10-21

I have been told that my artistic style is reminiscent to Paul Klee.  Well I had never heard of him and decided to look him up.  Over the course of a few years I have read a little about him here and there; but, decided to add him to my study list for Inktober 2018.

I found this information regarding his method of teaching art at the Bauhaus:

1.  Take a line for a walk:  get comfortable with the process.  Use letters, line drawing and symbols to define your artistic language.

2.  Observe a fish tank:  Observing movement in composition of art, even abstract art. The movement of fish in a tank or nature will inspire movement in your work.

3.  Draw the circulatory system:  Klee found drawing the branching of plants, organ systems and water flow added to the depth and composition of works of art.

4.  Weigh the colors:  choosing colors should be simplistic and bold, filled with adventure.  Create your own color wheels; experiment and find harmony even in dissonant pairings of colors.  Embrace color with childlike abandon.

5.  Study the Masters:  compare/contrast/learn techniques from the great artists; not to copy but to help you in starting your artistic journey.








I really enjoyed studying Paul Klee, although it was a real challenge translating his work to pen and ink.  Who will I study next?  Wait and see, until next week.  pilgrim

No comments: