Friday, October 15, 2010

Alaska....Serenity at Sea


The picture above was taken from the veranda outside my room on the Alaskan Cruise I took in July. The ship floated slowly through the Endicott Arms Fjord providing unimaginable photo ops. The naturalist on board explained that we must be good stewards to protect the fragile ecosystem. As a result, the engines were cut to minimum speed, no announcements were made so as to keep the noise level as low as possible.
My room mate and I stood on the veranda for hours taking pictures. We were in absolute awe. There were dozens of waterfalls; lush green pine trees; mountains covered with snow; whales and dolphins following the ship and glaciers with the most beautiful bluish hue.
The black tracks that run down a glacier are the marks that show where two or more glaciers merged.
I truly felt like a pilgrim on this trip while exploring sights I had dreamed of for years. My spirit was lifted that day as I did what one of my favorite Hymns suggests...."Taste and see the goodness of the Lord.
Pilgrim

No comments: